God has been prompting me in unexpected ways, How about you?
The last 4 years have been a wild ride for me. God has been prompting me to minister to others in ways that I could have never imagined. You don’t have all day, so here’s a quick recap…along with some questions for you.
- Counseling full time and leading workshop in the community
- Self published “Building a Compassionate Relationship with Yourself” – Didn’t want to write it, but God kept bugging me for 6 months, so I did.
- Went to my first writers conference, A publisher interested in publishing a new and expanded version of above book.
- Diagnosed with breast cancer; had surgery and chemotherapy
- Got a contract to write “Give Yourself a Break: Turning Your Inner Critic into a Compassionate Friend” with Revell/Baker Publishing Group – What a blessing!
- Finished radiation, thought I was home free, and going get my life back
- 4 days later I noticed some trouble breathing deeply, 2 months later I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, a terminal lung disease that developed as a rare side effect from chemotherapy and radiation
- 2 months after this I had to go on supplemental oxygen
- Started this blog – love doing it! Thanks for being so responsive!
- Release of Give Yourself a Break: Turning Your Inner Critic into a Compassionate Friend – Such a joyful experience. Thanks to all of you who helped promote this book and get it into the hands of people across the world
- Closed 30 year counseling practice – so much grief
- Lungs worsening, at home most of the time
- Continuing to blog, and enjoy this so much.
- Started doing Facetime Live Videos from home, which I love!
- Hired by pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com to write a weekly patient blog for those with pulmonary fibrosis and their families. It is called, “Just Breathe: Compassionate Help for the PF Journey” and I am reaching a lot of patients all over the world. I’m so grateful for this opportunity!
- Went to a writers retreat with a friend to have a fun time hanging out with the writers with my book agency. While I was there I received a STRONG impression from God that I need to write a book from a faith perspective, for those dealing with a terminal illness and their families. I decided to pay attention to Him this time right away!
Whew! What a long explanation! I share all this to let you know how God has been prompting me in unexpected directions. I’ll bet He has you as well. He has been gracious to provide me with encouragement, comfort and direction along this very unexpected path. A big part of His encouragement to keep going has come through all of you.
Thank you for being a blessing to me over these last 4 years. It has been a time of grief, fears and lots of adjusting to my ever-changing “new normal.” It’s also been full of unexpected blessings, encouragement and support.
I would appreciate your prayers as God leads me to help those dealing with a terminal illness be a kind friend to themselves along this journey. Please pray that my future book will end up in the right hands.
I’m also looking forward to starting a new series about Pursuing Healthy Relationships with God, Ourselves and Others. I will blog about it here, and do facetime videos every other week or so.
So How About You?
God may be prompting you in a variety of ways. He might want you to care for yourself; rest and recover from a time of stress; minister to someone specifically; or something else.
I’d love you to share your input.
How has God been prompting you? What circumstances is He using to get your attention? What do you need to follow His prompting? What other thoughts or feelings surfaced as you read this post?
Please leave your comments below and share on social media or via e-mail with others who might benefit!