I’ve been impacted this week by both the devastation of Hurricane Harvey, as well as the outpouring of love and help by so many. I know there is no way I can ever truly understand what has happened, or what those affected are going through.
I have several friends and extended family who live in Houston, and I am lapping up information about how they are doing, and what they are seeing first hand.
My friends tell about the love, generosity and support they’ve seen firsthand for the victims of Hurricane Harvey. They have seen the love of Christ demonstrated in powerful ways:
• Enormous donations of food, clothes, supplies, and practical help
• Volunteers sorting donations to disperse to those in need
• Cooking hot food for local shelters and delivering to neighbors
• Strangers helping others with the clean-up — ripping out soggy carpet, insulation, sheet rock and ruined possessions
• Comforting one another through hugs, prayers, scriptures and a listening ear.
• Counselors offering free or low cost counseling, which will be needed after the trauma that comes after living through a disaster and the aftermath
• Everyday folks risking their lives to save others
• Financial support
My friends saw firsthand the love of God shared with those who desperately needed help, and were blessed in return. Their common suffering connects them all. It is such a testimony of what can be accomplished when we unite together to help others, while holding tightly to our Lord Jesus Christ.
This inspires me to be active in helping those God brings my way, in the ways that I can. We need one another.
How about you?
How have you been impacted by what you’ve seen and heard about the effects of Hurricane Harvey? Do you know anyone directly affected? How have you been inspired in your own life? Do you need a team to support you through a difficult time?